This Week...



Let me
keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,
which is mostly standing still and learning to be astonished...

--Mary Oliver from "My Work is Loving the World"

This Week... A touch of springtime to lift the winter...  and the journey of Lent!

In the Roman Catholic Church-- Tuesday was the Feast Day of the Holy Face of Jesus and Shove Tuesday, sometimes also known as Fat Tuesday/Pancake Day--traditionally the eating up of rich or fatty foods before the penitential Lenten season begins. Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, marked the beginning of Lent. (I deeply appreciate the solemnity of Ash Wednesday Mass and breaking the fast of the day.) And today is the Feast Day of American St. Katherine Drexel.


At Home-- Our home altar received a tidy up, as also a purple cloth and purple candle for Lent.



Out & About-- While out & about in our small town, I walk the main street/high street to and from places. There is a secondhand shop that changes their window display a lot. I like this mix of cozy things! It's a good thing I didn't have time to go in and snoop around... I might have come home with something... LOL! Must resist temptations, and especially during Lent! ;)



On the Menu-- Ash Wednesday was a day of fasting. I had fish soup and Lenten Pretzels made for breaking the fast later in the day. I make a big cauldron of the soup to freeze, which we graze on during Lent. And I usually end up making more than one batch of the pretzels too. We eat fish every Friday, and often other times during the week. I fast Wednesdays and Fridays, much like our cousins in faith of the Eastern Orthodox Church do on a regular weekly basis.  We fast, we deny ourselves, that it may prepare us to receive His light and love. And that we may be in solidarity with those in need. I think of fasting as a love offering.

Reading-- Daily I'm reading Praying Lent. Next week, Monday, I will share more about other books and reading I have set aside for the month of March, including reading for Lent.

Listening-- Lent at Ephesus by The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles. There are not a lot of music CDs out there dedicated to Lent, so this is very special. This group of singing nuns is AMAZING! They have other recordings available and all are ethereal collections of hymns that redirect the heart, mind, and spirit to Jesus. This is one of my favorites! I'll be listening to this until Easter... and then listen to Easter at Ephesus! ;)

Watching-- Into Great Silence a beautiful film inside the hermitage of reclusive monks of the Carthusian Order in France. It is almost a completely silent film, in that there is no dialogue. Just following the monks among their days in a year's time. I just love this beautiful silence, and I like to watch this during Lent.  You can watch it here, via YouTube.


Creating--  My current rotation of 3 yarn projects--which are "slow cookers"--are inching along. No great finishes to update on yet...


Inspiration-- "The cross, this is the sign of who I am, of my actual and real identity." Ann Voskamp, from: The Broken Way.

For weeks I've been making little homemade tattoos of the Cross with a Sharpie marker, inspired by my reading of The Broken Way. (I'd like to make this a REAL tattoo!) As Lent begins, I finish the reading of this profoundly beautiful book, and carry it's messages with me to practice throughout Lent. The book and it's Study Guide contained so much food for thought, and I will be working more on the Study Guide during the Lenten season.


LUNA-- We've had Luna with us for a little over a month now. Every week, each day, has been a wonderful experience with her. She loves her plush igloo bed!

How was your week? Wishing you all a LOVE-ly weekend ahead! :)))


Comments

  1. Hello Tracy!
    I appreciate your thoughtful blog posts,so much to feast my eyes and mind on here.I love that women of faith create,homes,knitting,cooking,home altars.My paternal grandmother used to cover the TV with a purple cloth.No TV in that house during Lent!
    Warm wishes,
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ann Marie, and thank you--so lovely to see you here again! Comments and sharing is sooo much appreciated! Your grandparents had the right idea with covering up the TV during Lent--we could all do with trying that, I think! I try to reduce viewing--online too--but I never manage to give it up entirely... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh
    to end such a beautifully written post with that adorable little face peeking from her plush safe place!
    thank you for the link to watch 'into great silence.'
    I had watched it years ago and also loved it.
    I will enjoy it again thanks to you.
    and...
    "... that we may be in solidarity with those in need "
    what a wonderful way to fast.
    you're a dear soul.
    love you!
    xoxo♥ hug the Viking and little luna for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tammy... and isn't Into Great Silence one of the best films?! We are are so blessed with our Luna... she is our precious joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to have found your new blog - I've really missed you and wondered how you were. I look forward to catching up. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chel! WOW... it's been a long time! Great to "see" you! I'll stop by your blog soon. :)

      Delete
  6. I must find time to watch that film Tracy. I think we would both enjoy it. I love your thoughts on Lent and I love the way you live your faith. You are a real inspiration to me and I know many others. God bless. Love you. Lots of hugs coming your way. xoxo PS - Look at that darling little furry face peeking out of the igloo. Where would we be without something furry to love and love us back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Marie... life without a fur-friend just isn't the same! Thank you for the MANY lovely comments and thoughts you've shared over my recent post! That was sooo good of you, as I know you've got some VERY full days just now. :)

      Delete
    2. e-MAIL me about starting a mail group Tracy! Please, please. I would love to start something like that together, but have never done anything like that. It would be so much fun! Love you! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh Luna is a lucky girl, what a nice bed. Joey would be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you know all about my week -- which is why I'm so late here! Luna clearly has made herself at home and it looks to be a home with great love and faith. Thanks for letting us peek into your week. I think it's a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the daffodils. I always buy a pot of them around this time of year too. They remind me of home. And sweet Luna:)

    I often have to keep myself out of my local second-hand shop too. There's always something to catch my eye and come home with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment